Monday, August 25, 2008

Josh Rouse, Josh Ritter, Bright Eyes

Today I'll be playing catch-up once again.

Josh Rouse-I heard of Josh Rouse through reading Guster's blog about 6 years ago or so, but never really got any of his music until maybe 3-4 years ago. That being said, I still haven't purused his entire catalog, but the two albums I have by him are pretty damn good. The record I bought by him a few years back is called "Subtitulo". From what I understand he married a girl from Spain and lived there for a while. This album is about living in Spain. His latest album Country Mouse, City House is not as good as Subtitulo, but it's still good. A little too jazzy for me, but some really good piano/pop/rock abounds too. Rouse is a great singer and uses some awesome melodies, making his music (for the most part) really catchy.

Josh Ritter-I only know Ritter's music through J's Indie Rock Mayhem podcast, but I've heard probably 9-10 songs and they're all really fantastic. I still haven't picked up any of his albums, but I look forward to hearing more from him. A lot of his stuff is acoustic/piano based. This description of music in general can either mean an artist is really good, or just mediocre. In Josh Ritter's case, it means his music is exceptional.

Bright Eyes-I suppose you'd call Conor Oborst, the man behind Bright Eyes music "indie-country". Perhaps he's more folk than country but he uses a lot of country elements to his music. Having said that, it's the good form of country without trying to be rock with a hick singer. I have three of his albums, and they're all really good. Digital Ash in a Digital Urn is more electro-folk and the other two are more country/folk. Anyway, check out Bright Eyes.

No comments: