Monday, July 28, 2008

Old School Band of the Day: The Beautiful South

The Beautiful South are today's band of the day. I first heard Paul Heaton's voice coming through the speakers of my mom's old Toyota hatchback. I knew my brothers and their friends in the Anderson family had good taste (I still count a lot of the bands I heard growing up among my favorites i.e. The Beautiful South, REM, etc.) but little did I know that Heaton's voice would be among my favorites even 15 plus years later. Their lyrics were sadistic, their music was masterful pop in it's finest and I loved it! I never got a chance to see TBS before they split up last year which is quite a shame. My brother Trev saw them in the 90's at DV8 club in SLC. Wow, that would have been pretty damn cool! My favorite TBS album by far is 0898. What a masterpiece! Songs like Domino Man, 36D, and one of my favorite song titles, You Play Glockenspiel, I'll Play Drums among 8 other songs made this album so great. My favorite song though is We Are Each Other. Such a great, simple guitar riff. I love it! Anywho, enough rantin and ravin', I'll post a newer band/artist of the day tomorrow. Oh, and by the way, Paul Heaton's new solo album is out now, but you'll most likely have to go on Amazon to buy it since they don't release TBS/Heaton album's in US record stores much.

No comments: