Sunday, July 27, 2008

July 27th Artist of the Day-Hayes Carll

Today's artist of the day is Hayes Carll. I saw him and his band open up for Old 97's at The Palladium in Salt Lake. He is really amazing. Now, I'll start off by saying I'm definitely not much of a country music fan. That being said, there are a few country-ish bands/musicians I'm really fond of. John Prine, Nanci Griffith, and Iris Dement to note a few. Hayes Carll is a good ole boy from Texas and his accent comes across in his music. Usually I find the "hick accent" off putting, but with Carll I actually enjoy it. My favorite part of his concert/newest album is his cover of Tom Waits "I Don't Wanna Grow Up." I never thought a countrified version of this song would work, but DAMN it's amazing!

myspace.com/hayescarll

No comments: